Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Book Thief blu ray review

Before I begin the way Liesel learns to read reminds me how I learned.  At a young age I had a bad ear infection that damaged my hearing in my right ear.  The popular way to teach reading at the time was "hooked on phonics".  How do you learn how to read by sound when you are hard of hearing?

Liesel loses her brother at an early age and was taken away from her mother and placed in the care of another couple.  Her new Mama was very strict, while her new Papa was very kind.  He starts her love for reading.  They would read together and when she came to a hard word she would write it on a chalk board.  Same way I learned except I used notebook paper.

One night a jewish man comes to their door and they hide him in their home from Nazis.  Max and Liesel form a great friendship as he shared her love for reading.  He encourages her to write her own stories as well.

This is a heart warming movie in a sea of all the worthless stuff these days that are made.  I totally recommend this to see.

1 comment: